Remember to CATCH IT BIN IT KILL IT this winter Message from Dudley CCG
People in Dudley are being reminded of the simple message to use to protect themselves and others from cold and flu this winter: Catch it. Bin it. Kill it.
- CATCH IT – Always carry tissues and use them to cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- BIN IT – Dispose of used tissues as soon as possible.
- KILL IT – Clean your hands with soap and water as soon as you can and make sure you wash them frequently.
Dr Steve Mann, Local GP and Clinical Lead for Dudley Clinical Commissioning Group said: “Cold and flu germs can live on your hands and in tissues for hours for hours, meaning they can be easily transmitted. Just a few simple steps can help prevent the viruses from spreading.
“Always cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, put the tissue in the bin – don’t save it to reuse – and clean your hands as quickly as possible.
“Following these simple steps makes a huge difference in the fight against common colds, and the more serious flu virus. It’s such an easy thing to do but it will make sure you and your family stay safe and well this winter.”
Seasonal flu is responsible for the deaths of around 8,000 people a year – many of them elderly. Those who fall into ‘at risk’ groups are eligible for a vaccination to protect them against the illness, and include:
- people aged 65 and over
- pregnant women
- healthy children aged two to three
- anyone aged between six months and 65 years old who suffers from:
- chronic respiratory disease, including asthma
- chronic heart disease
- chronic kidney disease
- chronic liver disease
- diabetes requiring insulin or oral hypoglycaemic drugs
Anyone who is eligible for the seasonal flu jab should contact their GP surgery.
For more information on colds and flu, visit http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/coldsandflu
Contact Lindsey Harding, Dudey CCG on 01384 321677 or Lindsey.Harding@dudley.nhs.uk