Carers Week in Dudley 9-15 June
Carers Week is organised by a consortium of national organisations including Carers UK and the Carers Trust. It aims to raise awareness of carers, their role and support available to them. This year they are promoting the Carers Quest, a drive to reach out to carers who may not be aware of the information and support available to them.
Dudley Carers Network has been selected by Carers UK as a Quest leader for Dudley. Several Dudley organisations have pledged their support for the Quest including Dudley Libraries Service, Insight for Carers, Rethink and Headway Black Country. In Dudley we have set a target of identifying 500 ‘ new’ carers in and around the week – activities include:
- We will be raising awareness of support for carers in all of the Borough’s libraries.
- Home Library service staff will take carers information to the 600 homes they will visit during June.
- Carers Event at Brierley Hill library on Thursday 12 June between 10.30-3.30. Information from a range of services and also the launch of Adult Learners Week. Find out about the courses available from our Adult Learning Team. There will also be treats!
- Sharon McGlynn, the Carers Co-ordinator at Russells Hall Hospital is organising an Information Hub in the hospital foyer and new for this year – a ’ tea and chat’ with relatives and staff on some of the wards. More information to follow but if you would like to be involved please contact Sharon .
- Sharon is also working with group of local people and Dudley Adult Learning local artist Sean Counley to produce work related to the centenary for WW1. This will hopefully be exhibited at the new Dudley Archives in Tipton Road during the Week. If anyone is interested in being involved in a such a project in the future please contact Sharon on 01384 456111 ext 1568 mobile: 07435 754386 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rethink Carers Groups will be visiting the BBC Gardeners World show at the NEC
- Insight for Carers will be at a number of venues during the week promoting their services. On Friday 13 June they will host their first Carers Awards Ceremony. They will give 10 awards to people and organisations nominated by the community. For more information contact Insight on 01384 483708 or email email@example.com. There will be an online nomination form shortly
- Dudley Carers Forum’s social committee has organised a full programme of social activities for the Borough’s carers during the week and will be involved in information events too. For full details ring Janet on 07583321054 or see www.dudleycarersforum.wordpress.com
- Nationally Sainsbury’s is an official Carers Quest partner and Sainsbury’s Amblecote has invited carers’ organisations, to take part in awareness sessions throughout the week
- Thomas Pocklington is hosting a Carers’ awareness session and activities on Monday 9 June between 10-4 for carers of people with sight loss. This takes place in the grounds of Mary Steven’s Centre. Includes: Djemmbe drumming, lunch, Plant a sensory garden tub to take home , individual pamper sessions. All activities to be booked with Pat Hill the Carers Support Worker on: 01384 889886.
- Thomas Pocklington also have a 3 night holiday in Llandudno booked for carers and the people they care for
- Headway Black Country invites carers and people with an acquired brain injury to the Black Country Neurological Alliance Road show in Oldbury on Saturday 14 June.