Margaret Butterworth Award for excellence in dementia care – nominate now
The Margaret Butterworth Award (Dementia Pathfinders Community Interest Company) is presented for excellence in dementia care to care workers, health care assistants and activity organisers.
Nominate NOW and show appreciation for a member of staff or colleague.
During her lifetime, Margaret Butterworth worked energetically and creatively to improve care for people with dementia, their friends and families. Margaret engaged with the complexity of the modern care world with a quiet but persistent voice. She honoured and shared good practice and believed that simple acts of the heart made all the difference. The award recognises the achievements of front line staff, those who are often in the lowest paid jobs but who give of themselves to improve the lives of people with dementia.
This annual award is in its 10th year and aims to celebrate excellence in dementia care in the spirit and memory of Margaret’s life. Nominations of care workers, health care assistants and activity co-ordinators meeting the criteria listed below are invited. There will be up to three winners. The successful candidates will receive an award of £300 and a certificate.
Will be a panel of health and social care professionals and family carers.
Will be notified by April 2014 and invited to an award ceremony that will take place in central London in May 2014.
The person must be:
- Working with people in a health or social care setting or in a person’s home in the UK
- A paid care worker, home care worker, activity co-ordinator or health care assistant, who is not a professional (i.e. a nurse, social worker or team manager) and who deserves special recognition
- Nominated by a manager, service user, family carer or colleague with supporting evidence from at least one person
Examples of achievements and qualities we are looking for:
- Always kind and patient, whatever the difficulties
- Aware of the ‘personhood’ of the person with dementia
- Understands dementia and has ‘the knack’ to cope in demanding situations
- Shows skills in being with people living with dementia and promoting well-being
- Is able to connect with people, whatever their background, culture or ethnicity
- Creates a good atmosphere and motivates colleagues
- Has brought a project to life
- Has gone the extra mile to overcome a care-giving or personal difficulty
How to apply – (you can complete the form attached)
Nominations should be from a manager, family carer or a colleague.
Include the following information with your application
1. About the nominee
- Name and job title
- Name, address and telephone number of the organisation the nominee works for
2. About the nominator
- Name and job title
- Name, address,telephone number and email of the organisation the nominator works for (where applicable)
- Or, relationship to the nominee
3. A description of what the worker has done to deserve the award, with examples which illustrate how well they do their job.
4. Other supporting evidence from managers, service users, family carers or colleagues. Having endorsements to back up the application is most helpful.
Submitting your application
- By post to: Margaret Butterworth Award, c/o Dementia Pathfinders CIC, 258 Belsize Road, London, NW6 4BT
- Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org